Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Take Me To The River

One of the first Bible stories that truly spoke to my heart was the story of the woman at the well.  Many years back, I found myself seeking after God and had gone, almost reluctantly, with a group of ladies to a Christian women’s convention in Charlotte, NC.   I thought this group somewhat strange and wondered how I ever came to be with them. They were different, I thought at the time (not in a good way) from any people I had ever met.  My life changed that weekend as the Spirit of God broke me down – I found myself with tears streaming down my face many times.  Even though I was raised in church, I had finally encountered the Living God.

John 4:4-14 (The Message)

"To get there, he had to pass through Samaria. He came into Sychar, a Samaritan village that bordered the field Jacob had given his son Joseph. Jacob's well was still there. Jesus, worn out by the trip, sat down at the well. It was noon.

 A woman, a Samaritan, came to draw water. Jesus said, "Would you give me a drink of water?" (His disciples had gone to the village to buy food for lunch.)

 The Samaritan woman, taken aback, asked, "How come you, a Jew, are asking me, a Samaritan woman, for a drink?" (Jews in those days wouldn't be caught dead talking to Samaritans.)

 Jesus answered, "If you knew the generosity of God and who I am, you would be asking me for a drink, and I would give you fresh, living water."

 The woman said, "Sir, you don't even have a bucket to draw with, and this well is deep. So how are you going to get this 'living water'? Are you a better man than our ancestor Jacob, who dug this well and drank from it, he and his sons and livestock, and passed it down to us?"

 Jesus said, "Everyone who drinks this water will get thirsty again and again. Anyone who drinks the water I give will never thirst—not ever. The water I give will be an artesian spring within, gushing fountains of endless life."

This woman in Samaria was no different from the men and women of our day.  She had tried many things in this world, seeking happiness.  She had been married several times and was living with a man outside of marriage when she happened upon the Messiah one day.

Jesus had a conversation with this woman at the well.  He knew everything about her, for after all, He is the Son of God.  He also knew she was a Samaritan,  a group of people shunned by the Jews.  None of that bothered Jesus in the least.

He spoke to her of a River, a river of water unlike anything this woman could have ever imagined.  This River is a river of life, a spiritual river that meets our every need because it flows from the very heart of God to the heart of whoever will turn to the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ, in sincere repentance and recognition of Him as their Savior.

As believers in Christ, this river of life pours into us constantly.  The more we give from this river, the more flows into us.  We can give from this river lavishly, just as the Father gives to us lavishly.  This river was birthed from the heart of a God who loves us so much that He sent His only Son to die upon a cross and redeem us from the wages of sin. 

Do you know Him?  He will take you to this river and you will never thirst again.

Rhonda Roughton
Rhonda is founder of INK Ministries. INK Ministries' mission is to build up the body of Christ through writing, preaching and teaching with an emphasis on the New Covenant and who we are in Christ. "Write down the vision and make it plain on tablets so that whoever reads it may run with it." Habakkuk 2:2-3. This is a "hands-on" ministry as well as a writing ministry - moving in the gifts and power of the Holy Spiit to bring hope, healing and deliverance to all those who hunger for more of Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment