Friday, September 16, 2011

Shifting Sands

Red plum, Source Saver, Coupon mom... there are so many different places these days to find coupons. After a few instructional classes and several very embarrassing moments at the register I was sold out. I was officially a couponing diva. I would go everywhere with my binder in hand looking for the latest and greatest deals. Keeping track of every dollar spent and every dollar saved. Ideas started to come and go on just what I was going to do with all of this great food I was going to get for next to nothing, blessing so many families in need. This was going to be me forever. Until there was a shift..... somewhere between the sorting and calculating, I started to get discouraged. Then soon after I went back to my old way of shopping.

In John 21, we read a story very similar to that. Simon Peter, a man that later was the catalyst for many miracles and brought so many to know and love Christ, had a quick bout with doubt and discouragement. The name Simon means “shifting sands” and until that time in history, Simon Peter was still not sure.  Arguably the greatest thing that had ever happened to this earth had just taken place. Jesus has appeared to his disciples twice now and yet Simon Peter still hasn’t sold out to this opportunity called “ministry”. So Peter goes back to the only life he knew....fishing. Bringing others along with him. He was so discouraged in a time in his life when he was stepping out of the box. As our natural human defense would go, we automatically go back to what we know best or where we are comfortable when feelings of insecurity come along.

I wonder how many have been so on fire for God and because of something that may have happened, or for lack there of,  something that may not have happened, we allowed the enemy to push us back into our old lifestyle. It is through true transformation that we never turn back.

Later, we know that Simon Peter sells out and never goes back to his old life never to fish for fish but fishing for men and feeding Christ’s sheep. In his transformation He dropped the Simon in his name and just carries the name Peter meaning “Rock”. A solid form that can not be duplicated and can withstand anything that comes its way, Peter the rock. If today you are having a Simon moment and just want to go back to whats easy, I challenge you to be a Peter and withstand this trial, you are being groomed for something great!

 “ Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4

I still haven’t picked up my coupon binder but I look forward to learning some new ideas from our “Fabulous You” break out that may help me to start again!

Ashley McDougal
Ashley is the Children's pastor for 3N1 Church in Virginia. Her passion is to see the Church being Christ's Church consistently no matter where they are and of course Children!! For more info on 3N1 you can check out their website at http://3n1church.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment