Saturday, September 10, 2011

Healthy Living

Not too long ago, I had a day where I felt extremely tired and had a headache, probably resulting from stress. My four year old asked if my head and brain hurt. I responded with yes. Then, I asked her, “What should I do?” Her immediate response was, “PRAY!” So, we prayed. I agreed with her as she took her little hand, laid it on me, and began to ask Jesus for healing. While I was happy that she knew exactly what to do, I was speechless because at four years old she was ready to take action and lead the prayer….

I can’t say that I have always sought prayer first when going through something. I have noticed that I seem to go through cycles. There are times in my life where I pray for EVERYTHING first and then follow-up with action. Then there are other times where I pray while I am acting…. And then there are times when I worry, worry, worry, and then pray. I haven’t always noticed quicker answers when I prayed first and then acted, but what I have noticed is this, when I am in a constant state of prayer about everything, I am at peace. I am not anxious. The bills do not seem as big, the sickness does not seem to last as long, and I am not as tired.
In Philippians 4:6-7, the scripture says, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

The Bible beckons us to PRAY first. Through prayer, lives are made whole, bodies are healed, and people are delivered. We are at peace. Stress and anxiety cause unnecessary physical ailments and if prolonged can lead to a suppressed immune system, digestive disorders, memory loss, or heart attack according to WebMD.
In order to live a life of physical, mental, and emotional peace we must be a people of prayer. Without prayer, we are more likely to worry and live a life of anxiety. Not only is it necessary for answers, it is necessary for our health.

Let’s be healthy, let’s pray FIRST about EVERYTHING.
Kasey Scott
Kasey is currently a high school English teacher, whose students are young ladies who are substance dependent and incarcerated. Kasey has a passion to reach into the lives of girls in desperate situations and show them the Hope that is available in Jesus Christ. She also is the VP and Director of Curriculum Design for Edvance Services, an educational services company she co-founded with her husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment