Sunday, September 18, 2011

Need: Something Required Because it is Essential

My youngest daughter, Morgan, is a sucker for those commercials on TV that offer the craziest items for just $19.99. One time I remember she came running up to me so excited because she had just seen a commercial on the television for something that we just had to have! Needless to say, after about thirty minutes of watching TV with her to see the commercial again, I was not impressed when I saw the “must have” item was a toothpaste dispenser that guaranteed to squeeze ALL the toothpaste out of the tube.

We all want things and mostly things we don’t really need. We don’t really need more clothes or the newest phone, the hottest new computer item or the newest model car. These are things we want. We often get discouraged when we don’t get what we want and forget that our needs are being met.
Psalm 23:1 says, “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.” A shepherd provides for his flock of sheep. He provides security, food, water, shelter, and companionship, anything they need. David, the writer of this psalm, understood what it meant to be a shepherd and he understood who God was to His people.

“I shall not be in want” holds two truths:

1. I will not lack anything needed in my life to accomplish God’s will.

                   a. We don’t have to be crafty and piece together what we have to make something work, 
                        God will provide anything & everything necessary.
2. I will be content in the provision of God, no matter the circumstances.
a. We have to trust in God’s love for us and His commitment to us, His children.
Sometimes I confuse my wants with my needs. Sometimes I get frustrated when my wants aren’t coming to me the way I think they should. Sometimes, I don’t see my needs being met to the degree I think they should. Then I’m reminded – The Lord, God, my Father – he’s going to make sure I’m provided for! He is Jehovah-Jireh (The Lord will Provide), He sees my needs and He will provide for them. He will do the same for you.


Crystal Owens
Crystal is a speaker for the Fabulous You Conference. She’s married with 2 girls. Crystal is currently teaching a weekly adult Bible study and a monthly Bible study for Women. She has a passion for reaching youth and a heart for missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment