Thursday, September 22, 2011

Exchange your can'ts for cans

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Philippians 4:13 NKJV
This week has forced me to ponder my current health issues.   I know I can improve my overall health by losing weight.  When I started thinking of the weight   I need to lose I became very discouraged and I started telling myself I can’t lose this weight. I began to have a nice little pity party. I just keep saying over and over to myself “I can’t exercise”, & “I can’t lose this weight”.  As soon as those thoughts entered, I took it to the extreme and start calling myself as a failure. Even though I had lost two pounds in two weeks, I didn’t focus on what I had done, but only on the fact I had so many more pounds to lose. Then my attitude shifted, I said to myself (yes, I talk to myself allot!) “well that is two pounds I didn’t gain!”. I started thinking “I can” lose the weight and “I can” exercise with God’s help.  One of the fruit of the Spirit is self-control, God has given me self-control.  It may take awhile, but He has also given me patience. “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control” Galatians 5:22-23 NKJV
It seems to me sometimes we forget everything that concerns us concerns God. God tells us to ask and it will be given to us. Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”  Matthew 7:7 NIV.  I realized when I was having my “pity party” and felt defeated that I had not asked for God’s help.  I will pray for a parking space at the mall, for good shopping deals, and even for my cat, but I had not asked God’s help with this health issue.  Not sure why, I think maybe because I know it is my lack of self-control that has caused the health issues. I figured I got myself in this situation I need to get myself out! This is so wrong!  Only though Him can I do what I need to do to become healthier. I am determined I can do it, I know I may have set backs but I have positioned my mind in agreement with God “I can do all things though Christ”.  
Becoming healthy will be a life time journey. I am determined not only to be spiritually fit but also physically fit so I can complete the mission God has called me to. We do not have the promise that all we have to do in this life will be easy, but we do have the promise God gives us the strength do to whatever we need to do in this life.
You may be telling yourself you “can’t”, but I encourage you to exchange your “can’t” for “cans”.
You can lose weight.
You can get out of debt.
You can get that job or that promotion.
You can find a spouse.
You can buy your dream house.
You can be healed.
You can do whatever you need to do through Christ.
-Michelle Odom
Michelle is an Ordained Minister through United Christian Fellowship and co-founder with her husband, John, of MJ Ministries, a “Practical Evangelism” ministry expressing the Gospel through action. MJ Ministries is dedicated to revealing God’s love through the practice of hospitality using our God given gifts, talents and resources. We are challenged to Engage others in the pursuit of Jesus, Encourage others to realize their potential in Jesus, and Empower others to have influence for Jesus. Mission PossibleJesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God” Mark 10:27

1 comment:

  1. I CAN do all things!!! My word for the next few months!!! Thank you for this word Michelle!!!

    ReplyDelete