Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jesus Loves Me This I Know...


The day my sister-in-law was baptized, she was overflowing with love. She was in love with everything and everyone.  At that time I had not yet met Jesus, I didn’t believe in the existence of God and thought the Bible was only a story book. I remember thinking she has lost her mind, there is no way anyone can be at such peace and in love.  I had never seen or experienced the unconditional love she was demonstrating. Yes, I knew my husband loved me, but for whatever reason I believed it was a conditional love.  As long as I did this or that he would love me. But because she was not an emotional person, I knew deep inside what she was feeling and living was something real and supernatural. The image of her on that day stayed in the back of my mind. I would think about that day often and long to experience that overflowing unconditional love, but a voice in my head would tell me ‘she was a better person than me; I could not love or be loved.’
A couple of years later, I met Jesus. On the day of my baptism, I was overflowing with love for everyone and everything!  I thought to myself now I have lost my mind! That voice was back ‘I am unlovable and unable to love’ but there I was experiencing an overflowing unconditional love.  Something happened to me, I was filled with the unconditional love of Jesus. I didn’t do anything to deserve the love, He just loved me.

Beloved, let us love one another, for love is (springs) from God; and he who loves [his fellowmen] is begotten (born) of God and is coming [progressively] to know and understand God [to perceive and recognize and get a better and clearer knowledge of Him]. He who does not love has not become acquainted with God [does not and never did know Him], for God is love.     1 John 4:7-8 Amplified Bible (AMP)

It has been eleven years since I met Jesus, I don’t always “feel” that overflowing love for myself or for others. What happens? Did Jesus change? Has His love changed? NO!
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8 NIV
Two things happen, first I start believing that voice again ‘I am unlovable and unable to love.’ Second, when I start listening to the lies of the enemy I become focused on myself. I lose sight of the truth, I am loved and I am able to love because I am filled with the unconditional love of Jesus. I must “reboot” my thoughts. Once I “switch off” the lies and refocus on the knowledge of His love, I experience that unconditional love and I am able to express that love to others.

For God so greatly loved and dearly prized the world that He [even] gave up His only begotten (unique) Son, so that whoever believes in (trusts in, clings to, relies on) Him shall not perish (come to destruction, be lost) but have eternal (everlasting) life. John 3:16 AMP

Be filled with the knowledge of His love; stay focused on that unconditional love. You might think you don’t deserve His love, but God does, God gave His Son as a ransom for you.  God loves you unconditionally and He thinks you are fabulous = marvelous, exceptionally good, superb, extraordinary, amazing, wonderful, spectacular and incredible.

Michelle Odom
Michelle is an Ordained Minister through United Christian Fellowship and co-founder with her husband, John, of MJ Ministries, a “Practical Evangelism” ministry expressing the Gospel through action. MJ Ministries is dedicated to revealing God’s love through the practice of hospitality using our God given gifts, talents and resources. We are challenged to Engage others in the pursuit of Jesus, Encourage others to realize their potential in Jesus, and Empower others to have influence for Jesus.
Mission PossibleJesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God” Mark 10:27

2 comments:

  1. Yes I check funny!! Because I remember that look on your face and I knew you thought, "She has Lost Her Mind"! I so needed this reflection today because you are so right HIS LOVE NEVER CHANGES!!! We all as humans put conditions on love and we (I) need to stay in check, remembering that I am loved unconditionally therefor I should love as such!
    I love you with an overflowing love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made me laugh Terri! That day & the day we had lunch a t Pizza Inn were pretty funny, you had joined a cult!lol I love you!

    ReplyDelete