Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Are You a Spiritual Fashionista?

A fashionista, according to Merriam Webster, is a “designer, promoter, or follower of the latest fashions”.    Most of us have an interest in fashion, if in varying degrees.  

The way we dress can often affect the way we act or see ourselves.  Our society has become more casual, especially where I live at the beach – where shorts and flip-flops are considered business attire.  But when we go to a wedding, we put on our best as this reflects the formal nature of the ceremony.   We ladies have been known to change our outfits several times before we go to an important event and to have more shoes than we ever would really need!

Fashion is fun and helps us to express ourselves to the world around us.  But how are we clothed spiritually? 

Whether you are great or not so great at putting together just the right combination of outfits for every occasion, as a child of God – you are a spiritual fashionista!

Isaiah 62:10
“I will greatly rejoice in the LORD,
My soul shall be joyful in my God,
For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness,
As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments,
And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.”

When our Father sees us, He sees us clothed in the righteousness of Christ.  He has covered us in the beautiful garments of salvation, provided to us by His dear Son.

When you are out and about, busy with each day, remember that you are a spiritual fashionista, clothed in the very best.  Money could not buy the clothing you were reborn to.  I love the story of the prodigal son, how he had been in the world and lost all that he had.  He remembered his father’s house and how even the servants there were well fed.  So he returned, with no expectation of anything except to live as a servant, as he felt he didn’t deserve the full stature of family status again.  But what happened when his father saw him?

Luke 15:17-24
 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!  I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.”’
 “And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.
 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet.  And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ And they began to be merry.


The father clothed his son in “the best robe” along with a family ring and sandals for his feet.  These articles of clothing and jewelry signified to the world that the son was a member of a wealthy family, with all its’ rights and privileges.  So did our Father God clothe us with the “garments of salvation” when we came to Him. We are members of a most royal family and have all the rights and privileges of the Kingdom of God.

Some of us are quite good at keeping up with the latest fashions and some of us are not.  But if you have believed in Jesus as your Savior and Lord, rest assured that you are clothed in the most beautiful spiritual garments that money never could buy.

Rhonda Roughton
Rhonda is founder of INK Ministries. INK Ministries' mission is to build up the body of Christ through writing, preaching and teaching with an emphasis on the New Covenant and who we are in Christ. "Write down the vision and make it plain on tablets so that whoever reads it may run with it." Habakkuk 2:2-3. This is a "hands-on" ministry as well as a writing ministry - moving in the gifts and power of the Holy Spiit to bring hope, healing and deliverance to all those who hunger for more of Him.

2 comments:

  1. so funny I was preparing my devotional for Thursday earlier this morning, I was studying & reading Colossians 3:12-14 before reading this.

    "Above all that I put on, I put on love. I clothe myself... :)
    Thanks for sharing Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete