Saturday, October 1, 2011

Confession is Good for the Soul

Philippians 3:14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
I know that confession is good for the soul, so here goes. I don’t think about heaven very much. I know what you’re thinking….But it’s true. I am a devout Christian and have been for many years, but I don’t think about heaven that often. I am excited about the idea when I do, but going to heaven is never at the forefront of my mind.  I realized the other day when my daughter and I had a conversation about heaven that this is an area that I do not ponder very much….now, something I did to consider more.
The reason I don’t give it very much thought is this…..I get so caught up in being grateful for my salvation experience that I don’t think about the afterlife. Not only did God keep me throughout my childhood, but he set a specific time for me to experience salvation. The God of the Universe sent his very son to die for me (John 3:16) Not only was I saved, but God continues to meet my needs and a few of my wants, takes care of my family, gives me ministry opportunities, comforts, guides, protects, and the list goes on. If he stopped at forgiving me and setting me on the right path during my teenage years, that would have been enough. Yet, he continually takes care of all of this other things daily. So, sometimes heaven is an afterthought when I think about the goodness of God….And willingly admit that even if heaven was not a part of the packaged deal, it would still all be worth it.
But…when I do think about the fact that there will be so much more to come, It’s like the icing on the cake, the peanut butter with the chocolate, the cupcake from my favorite bakery…you get the idea. I know it will be all of things that we have ever hoped and dreamed of. It will satisfy our every longing and desire.
Until then, learn from my unintentional mistake…get excited about the fact that there is more when this life is over. God keeps giving us more and more. And….when we finally reach the goal and win the prize…we will truly say it has been worth it all.
Kasey Scott
Kasey is currently a high school English teacher, whose students are young ladies who are substance dependent and incarcerated. Kasey has a passion to reach into the lives of girls in desperate situations and show them the Hope that is available in Jesus Christ. She also is the VP and Director of Curriculum Design for Edvance Services, an educational services company she co-founded with her husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment