Sunday, October 2, 2011

Is it Thanks-Giving Time Yet?

If you were to wake up today with only what you gave thanks to God for yesterday, what would you have?
I was asked this question recently and it has stuck with me. I often catch myself thinking about it and what the answer would be for that day. I’ve examined my matter of “thankfulness” and have come up with a couple of reasons why giving thanks isn’t always where it should be in my heart and mind.
1.       I get caught up in the day-to-day life and simply forget.
2.       I take things for granted.
3.       My frustrations with some things, overshadows my thankfulness.
4.       Just plain laziness.
I discussed this question with my family and a few friends and luckily I found out I wasn’t alone. My daughter who teaches a pre-k class that is full of energy on Wednesday nights discovered that they were all she would have. She loves them dearly, but decided she needs to start being thankful for much more!
Scripture is full of commands and directives telling us to give thanks to God.
-          “Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever.” 1 Chronicles 16:34
-          “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.” Psalm 100:4
-          “Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind.” Psalm 107:8
-          “I will give you thanks, for you answered me; you have become my salvation.” Psalm 118:21
-          “At midnight I rise to give you thanks for your righteous laws.” Psalm 119:62
-          “He told the crowd to sit down on the ground. When he (Jesus) had taken the seven loaves and given thanks, he broke them and gave them to his disciples to distribute to the people, and they did so.” Mark 8:6
-          “Saying: “We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign.” Revelation 11:17
We tend to focus on being thankful around Thanksgiving, but we clearly learn from scripture it needs to be a daily thing. As you move through your Sunday and the remainder of the week, think about all your blessings and “Give thanks to the Lord.” What if you were to wake up today with only what you gave thanks to God for yesterday, what would you have?
Crystal Owens
Crystal has a passion for reaching youth and a heart for missions.  She is currently the the youth leader at Moyock Assembly of God, teaches a weekly adult Bible study and a monthly Bible study for Women.

No comments:

Post a Comment