Thursday, October 20, 2011

Friends Helping Friends


Four friends are discussing their paralyzed friend. They want so much for him to be healed.  They believe if only they can get him in to see the one everyone is talking about, he would be healed. One friend asks,” how are we going to get him there?” They decided that all four of them could carry him there. So, the four friends go to the home of their paralyzed friend and carry him through the streets of Capernaum. Once they get to the place where He was, they see a large crowd and are unable to get through the door. One of them says, “Oh no, what are we going to do?” They come up with a plan to hoist their friend up on the roof; they dug an opening in the roof and they lowered the man down through the hole to a place in front of Him.  (My dramatization of Mark 2:3-5.)

Then they came, bringing a paralytic to Him, who had been picked up and was being carried by four men. And when they could not get him to a place in front of Jesus because of the throng, they dug through the roof above Him; and when they had scooped out an opening, they let down the [thickly padded] quilt or mat upon which the paralyzed man lay.

And when Jesus saw their faith [their confidence in God through Him], He said to the paralyzed man, Son, your sins are forgiven [you] and put away [that is, the penalty is remitted, the sense of guilt removed, and you are made upright and in right standing with God]. Mark 2:3-5

This is a wonderful account of friends helping friends. It only took four friends to get this man to Jesus. Once he met Jesus he was healed and saved because the friends made a commitment to get their friend to Jesus no matter what it took. It is clear to me they were on a mission!
I have never had too many friends and I use to be envious of those popular people that had tons of friends. But I have recently realized it is not the quantity of friends, but the quality of friends. My friends may be few but I know they are people that love me, pray for me, encourage me and inspire me. 
If you feel you do not have a friend in this world, be encouraged Jesus has promised to be your friend.  Jesus also has promised not to leave us alone; He left the Holy Spirit to be our friend and helper.

“…but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.” Proverbs 18:24c

"I'm telling you these things while I'm still living with you. The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you. I'm leaving you well and whole. That's my parting gift to you. Peace. I don't leave you the way you're used to being left—feeling abandoned, bereft. So don't be upset. Don't be distraught.” John 14:26 MSG

Do you have friends in your life that need to meet Jesus? You can be the friend that brings them to Jesus. Make a commitment to help someone that may be “paralyzed” by questions and doubts about Jesus. Have the faith that your friends will be healed and saved. We each are on a “mission” for God to help others to the place where they met Jesus.

“No one has greater love [no one has shown stronger affection] than to lay down (give up) his own life for his friends. You are My friends if you keep on doing the things which I command you to do. I do not call you servants (slaves) any longer, for the servant does not know what his master is doing (working out). But I have called you My friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from My Father. [I have revealed to you everything that I have learned from Him.]”  John 15:13-15MSG

Michelle Odom

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Michelle for this awesome message!! I have missed reading your message. I know that I have been blessed to have such great friends in the Lord and those that don't quite know HIM yet! This is a great reminder to do my best to Represent~ Love you <3

    ReplyDelete